Dear Scott,
Hey... me again.
I have a confession to make.
Sometimes I impersonate a French speaker.
I have found it quite simple deluding friends and strangers into folly by reciting the entire Hail Mary in French as well as the French bit of that Beatles song "Michelle."
"Michelle, ma belle. Sont des mots qui vont trés bien ensemble, trés bien ensemble." I roll it off my tongue like an unsavory mouthful of creamed corn. By this point I have my impressed victim in the palm of my hand.
This is kind of like impersonating a doctor. I, similar to you, want people to think I'm brilliant and worldly. Lord forbid the day someone drags a French person to me demanding to hear my lack-thereof skills in action.
The truth is Scott, we both want to be masters of our selective fields without going to the extent of actually taking those essential steps. We simply want to be admired, envied, and loved.
This said, there isn't enough credit given to the gentle act of self-depreciation. Sometimes admitting you're not amazing is the first step towards success. Sure, we're awesome; I mean, I write a little book every season and you already have a great story to tell your future patients!
A more thoughtful,
Rachel
P.S. Sometimes it's just not appropriate to "fake it, until you make it."
No comments:
Post a Comment