Monday, March 29, 2010

ZIne intro

This zine is set in winter.
If your not in the mood to read about winter put this zine under your pillow. Save it for a cold day.

As I write this it is raining outside. The mood is austere. It is still winter in Bend and will be until June, promise.
This zine was written between November and April 2009 & '10. In December I was had tea with Bend Bulletin reporter David Jasper about my zines and the potential for a zine community here. Late December revealed a photo of myself and a flurry of words I have craved the people of Bend to read for some time. This place is a good place for zines. There are many cafes and many people in deep musings and skill. Thanks again David Jasper.

In January I saw Patti Smith in Portland and came in aquatiance with the fabulous Laura Walker, another zine writer in Bend. 
Also in Janaury, Handsome, my family's golden retriver, breathed his last. Never in my life have I ever witnessed anyone transistioning from life into death. Death has been a thing that happens in secret. This amazing friend I grew up, who never knew for one second that he was old, let go of his struggle and it was so absolutely sad and perfect. He was old and very tired and he had done enough for that day I suppose. Putting my hand on his head and told him "thank you." We buried him in the backyard next to the young birch tree. My Mom sang "We Will Raise Him Up on Eagles Wings."
February a story came out about members of the Aryan (neo nazis) nation considering John Day, Oregon as a headquarters. The people of John Day are resisting the movement and gathering in demonstration for equal rights. A guide to making patches was begat from my need to express support for their cause. This is around the time when a little brown cat from the Humane Society came into my life. An odd brown colored cat, I call her Miso and she bites sometimes but neve mean.
In March I turned 24.
For the past three months I have been drawing daily comics about my day-to-day. These comics, made for the Stumptown Indie Comic Fest, have revealed to me how truly banal my life is. I long for the messy inspiration of Spring. Going downtown and scabbing my knuckles drawing with chalk.
Winter was funny this year. I was more ready for it than I have ever been and mostly stayed indoors save for night walks with Kevin. It was winter and satisfying in a strange way.
And with that, Show & Tell #6.

No comments:

Post a Comment