Saturday, August 8, 2009

Olestra and bleeding butts


When I was about ten the mail lady dropped off this package that was a sample of these fat-free chips they were testing on consumers before hitting the shelves. The chips were potato I believe and they were a totally weird new thing where the brand (Lays?) used some fat substitute agent lacking in actual fat. What the package asked myself, ten-year-old Rachel Lee-Carman, to do was try the chips, report back and tell said company whether the chips were good or not or whatever.
One stipend in regards to these new chips warned anal bleeding, stomach cramping, etc. were some possible outcomes of eating these chips.
I remember biting carefully into the chips - really chewing them up and rolling the mash in my mouth for probably a full minute, eating one chip at a time conceding that the moment my butt began to bleed I would hasten my guilt-free snacking. Being the snack happy child I was this product was a manifestation of my loftiest fantasies.
However, the chips never made my butt bleed and I never saw the chips at the grocery store...

For those dealing with Olestra addiction please read:
http://www.salon.com/health/feature/1999/08/16/olestra/

No comments:

Post a Comment