Sunday, February 17, 2013




Q: I've been reading Show & Tell since about four issues back and I've noticed a lot of change in what you're doing and how you articulate your ideas. Do you feel like a different person from the person who wrote the first one?
Show and Tell was written in a kind of obsolete vernacular. 
I'm happy you have seen changes in my articulation. I'm curious at what it sounds like from someone who doesn't know me or isn't me. 
Early on I was hoping to convey what a zine was to my community by following a formula: hand drawn cover + one-of-a-kind embellishment + personal essay + comic + DIY thing. It's like playing Billy and Alicia Hermanny's "Best-Game-Ever." The formula is there, you just need a good binding method for maximum points. 
In some ways I feel like a different person. My frontal lobe is fully developed, theoretically. I've been on medication for a few years for depression, something I've never discussed in my zines out of shame. Other ways, I feel the same. I'm constantly trying to make sense of the weird cycles I go through in order to break out of them.

Q: I really like reading about Bend in your zines. What's Bend like these days? What's an average day like in Bend for you?
That's sweet of you to say. Bend is in wintertime. There is no such thing as an average day for me - Each is typically unrecognizable from all the others. I do clean my house often. Today I burned the debris in the yard: cones and needles. I was in a really sensitive mood and was crying and wanted to be alone. Rinnah texted to say she was playing on the community radio and to listen, so I did, and I wrote a letter to my friend Anna in Eugene and got a call from Laura who said she was feeling weird too. Then I went to the post office. I helped set-up for a grand opening of nonprofit community grocery store but I couldn't stay for the party. So I went to this German filmed called Barbara at the Tin Pan Theater, this little 28-seater indie cinema where I work sometimes. I also work three jobs but they are kind of diverse and hard to explain. 
Q: You're close to Portland. How would you say it compares to Bend?
Only when I'm listening to Greg Ashley in Hanna's car do I feel ok. I am scared to death of Portland. It makes me edgy. And very sweaty. But sometimes it's ok. It's where the good shows are, sometimes it's worth it. Then I drive back through the mountains through the reservation and feel home again. 
Q: Have you thought at all of moving there?
Any good artist in Bend worth their mettle has moved to Portland. Because Portland is where real artists live. I'd be scared as shit to move there. I'm a truly shy person in strange situations and would take a devastating amount of time to be OK. I've never felt strong enough to be up to the challenge. That said, when I do gather the strength, I will try to be far far away where people don't speak English as well. 
Q: Who are some Bend artists you're into?
All my silly friends. Alicia Renner for her garment design work through Howl. Rinnah Henderson for her singing voice (who is accepting an au pair job in Poland and leaving soon). Kasey was a main component in the documentary Occupied Cascadia doing interviews with activists. Joel Sousa who plays accordion at the Alzheimer's residencies as well as around the backyard infernos. Cari is an alchemist and writer who started an artist collective/retail space in an old machine shop. Laura Walker and Heather Kennedy as part of our little zine community here. Larry and His Flask who are often on tour. I am very impressed with all my little friends, I love them so much.
Q: The new issue is the winter issue. How is winter circa February 2013 treating you?
Depends on the day. Yesterday the sun came out and I laid in the park and breathed in the air and watched a Dad teach his son how to ride without training wheels (if he fell it would be in the soft dry grass) and I was grateful to have made it this far, so grateful to be in my body and be me. And today I am cold and sensitive and nothing feels ok. When Joel is around I feel better about the season. Sometimes I get romantic and read Russian novels, drink coffee and don't smile at anyone. 
Q: There's a lot about the seasons in your zines. What would you say is your favorite season?
SUMMER. Because then I can sleep outside, not wear shoes, ride my bike anywhere, grow things, pick mullein and yarrow for tea, jump in the river with no clothes, etc. etc.
Q: Finally, what other projects are you working on? What can we expect from you?
I have this Erotica zine I am working on. There are a handful of us, all anonymous, writing short stories, submitting illustrations and photographs and shared within a community of contributors by invitation. I also have this French zine I want to be in Montreal and France. Since I've inherited finches publishing some field notes and illustrations on their quirks. My friend Hailee is in Phoenix doing an eagle observation and I wanted to use her same method. I've wanted to do a strictly photograph zine about Joel. He really fascinates me. Most days I think he'll disappear forever so I try to capture him when I can.
Plus, the same Show & Tell/Shoe & Tail, gleanings and wanderings and silly drawings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment