Southern Oregon University,
January 17th my friends, members of Larry and His Flask, were arrested as they prepared to play a set, opening for Reverend Payton's Big Damn Band at Southern Oregon University. They were kept in jail for three days.
When I heard the story, I couldn't believe it. I have been friends with Jamin, Jeshua and Dallin for many years; they have a considerable following in Central Oregon.
As a writer of a independently published magazine in Bend, Oregon which covers Larry and His Flask I have seen them do a benefit show in honor of Colby Smallwood (who passed at the beginning of '08). They've played sidewalks, pubs, venues, bars, prisons and amphitheaters. Their commitment to community and entertainment is meant to inspire togetherness. They often play off-stage to be closer to the crowd. The crowd at SOU missed a good show.
I am disappointed at the rash action taken by your security. While feeling they acted in protection of the campus they did the opposite when they attacked my friends who had legitimacy being there.
1. Jamin, Jeshua and Dallin weren't trespassing if they were intended to play a show at the campus.
2. If the Jamin, Jeshua, and Dallin were previously banned from the campus they should of been given more warning.
Now they face the possibility of going to jail for trespassing, disorderly conduct, and harassment.
I, as well as many others here in Bend, Redmond and beyond would like to see our friends not go to jail for a trivial misjudgment. The issues and the rights of Jeshua, Jamin, and Dallin need to be taken into greater consideration than they did that night.
No comments:
Post a Comment