Saturday, May 16, 2009

Humble Romanian Home

Do you mind if I don't go into specifics?
Listen. It's like this story of this well meaning town in Belgium who wanted to build a nice little Belgium house for a poor Romanian family who had been exiled or just hated wherever they came from. These precious little Belgium folk built this precious little Belgium house for 4 people: daddy, mommy, and the two babies.
And there was a get together of the Romanian recipients and the Belgium philanthropists and I imagine it being like a Frenchy version of those reality shows where they build someone in need a new house in a ridiculously small amount of time. Except I'm sure the Belgians took their time.
When the Romanians moved in they made some cultural changes to the house.
They pulled the stove into the front lawn.
They pulled the furniture onto the front lawn.
They brought in chickens and pigs.
They brought their entire extended Romanian family.
And for some reason this is not what the people of this small community in Belgium expected.
I don't know the end of the story but I am sure it was something about the Belgians being somewhat regretful of their generosity as it ended being a cultural damper in their frenchy french neighborhoods of little gates, quaint manicured little children, roses and stoves on the inside.
Can I tell you another story?
This one is about a girl that can't say no, about a girl who gives so much and then realizes to late that even after she has stopped giving they are still taking. And so she just wants to go away from all strangers and be with her friends who never take to much and give her what she needs.
Why do I have to be the one to tell the Romanians to keep their chickens from her garden?

No comments:

Post a Comment