Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Wikipedia


Imagine me with my fingers spread wide, the palms of my hands are facing my face, my hands are waving to and from my face quickly. Imagine my mouth in a O shape and my eyes are animated.
I just edited a Wikipedia page. I've never thought this was possible.
While wearing some hot-topic cat-eyed non-prescription glasses yesterday Kevin, stoned, told me, "those glasses are trying to be like those elk-horned glasses people used to wear."
Excuse me? "Elk" horn glasses?
"What are you talking about? These are cat-eyed glasses. There's no such thing as elk horn glasses."
Imagine a pair of glasses made out of the horns of elk. They are wooden-like, weighty, awkward to the face, and have wild antler-like extensions emitting from the sides (include visual).
"Elk horn glasses? Are you sure? Let's look that up."
This is where Wikipedia comes in.
"Oh! You mean "Horn"-rimmed glasses?"
I could see where he made the mistake.
We read the article together and one paragraph caught my attention.
"The glasses continued to be popular through the 1930s, and enjoyed a renaissance in the 1950s when musician Buddy Holly wore a series of large, bulky square pairs on tour and on his album covers. This style-- dominantly in black, although also available in varying shades of tortoiseshell-- remained popular from the late 1950s until the 1970s, when large, steel aviator frames became popular. Round horn-rimmed glasses came back into fashion in the 1980s, with tortoiseshell being fashionable amongst yuppies and a white variant being popular amongst New Wave musicians and New Wave fans."
"Yuppies?! That shouldn't be there! Let's change it!"
So I clicked on "edit" and wrote "intelligent, capital-driven entrepreneurs."
It's still there.
Yeah, people have done this before. No big deal. But I HAVE never done this before and it's important to me to introduce neutrality in all aspects of knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment